Friday 16 September 2011

(Dis)Orientation Week

I have just established that my blog is back working. I'm feckin elated. Those of you who had to experience my distraught ranting will know that blogger failed me on numerous occasions (and also that I was too much of a total twat to save a copy of my literary wonders). Those of you who narrowly avoided this rage, know that you are very, very lucky.

Now as expressed in blog the first, this blog was to keep y'all updated with tales from An tSín. Well táim anseo anois I guess, so brace yerselves!

I'm now nearing the end of week two. Week one was (dis)Orientation Week. Direct quote from first night's journal entry: "Too scared to go brush my teeth". There were alcohol awareness sessions (discussing alcohol in relation to cultural background - the words "I'm from Ireland" were enough to send the whole room into fits of laughter), camping (boat to hostel, complete with alternative dance/play, bbq pits, 4 hour hike, mega mega bugs such as praying mantis of doom, paggle-ing* in the sea, plenty of mozzy bites), pool games (think psycho competitive Hannah playing water polo whilst acquiring impressive burn tan lines and braving wearing a bikini despite high percentage of gorgeous long limbed latinos), infamous morning briefings (whereby I slept), and thai fishcakes (the canteen's shnakey way of fooling us into thinking the food would be daycent).

I don't think I got to bed before 2!

To round it all off, we had ICE (International Cultural Evening - this place is FULL of abbreviations; NACE, ECE, IB, LPC, UWC, CCE, QC, MESA...). This was fairly epic. For *ahem* the irish national dress *ahem* I wore my huuuuurlin socks (with sandals ofc), shamrock shaped sunglasses (ta very much Euro2), green soccer shorts, CELTIC WARRIORS IRELAND shirt boom agus super super dodge rara skirt from the Flea market (ex students leave their stuff eg curtains and first years go mental and buy things such as super dodge rara skirts and cube shaped hello kitty stools...). S'yeah bhí gach duine in their costumes and after dinner we all headed to the courtyard where the second years put on a fairly epic show. Highlight? Brit (plus Aine ofc) contingent's rendition of the Spice Girls. Either that or hip hop lion dance.

This week has been a lot more chill. Classes started, sure it's all going grand wha? With the exception of chemistry, but I've a nice system where Olivia (fellow confused peep) and I run to the common room during our free blocks and cry/do our chemistry homework le chéile. Chinese Ab Initio would be the funniest thing to sit in on. 24 foreigners yelling MA MA MA MA (with perfect tonal pronunciation might I add).

Tuesday was a day off cause of some national holiday so on Monday night a few of us went out for dinner. We went to a mega fishy district, i've never seen so many fish tanks in my entire LIFE crammed with like mega creepy types of fish.

...so naturally we went to an Indian. I got uber spicy potato curry to fit in with my stereotype (irish people only eat spuds, period).

Then for pierside walk watching all them floating lanterns followed by block two roof DMC avec Liz (dutch).

Your nationality becomes your name most of the time! I'm no longer Hannah, I'm Hannah-from-Ireland. More often than not I'm Ireland-from-Hannah though.


My living quarters are summat like this. I've a quarter of a room all to meself, with bed, desk, wardrobe, shelves, drawers. It has since been covered in Ikea produce. I'm practically scandinavian. I'm sure Swedish citizenship is based on your expenditure per annum in Ikea. 


I'll prolly be posting once a week from now on, but me e-mail is hannahmae27@hotmail.com and my addy is

Hannah Read
Room 204
Block 2
Li Po Chun United World College
10 Lok Wo Sha Lane
Sai Sha Road
Ma On Shan
Sha Tin
New Territories
Hong Kong

for those of you who still appreciate the beauty of snail mail.

Apologies for using words such as "super" and "chill". Please beat it out of me over Christmas.



Love to Éire, Hannah x


Me drinking bubble tea. More photos

*intentional misspelling

No comments:

Post a Comment